Mercedes-Benz R-Class realignment delivers added desirability and value
- Simplified range and enhanced equipment and value levels
- New two-wheel drive R 280 CDI variant priced at a competitive £36,825
- New Edition S limited edition offers £1240 extra specification over R 320 CDI SE
- Choice of five or seven seats in place of six-seat configuration for added flexibility
- Standard and long wheelbase options for the R 320 CDI
- All models gain AMG bodystyling
- 190 hp (R 280 CDI) and 224 hp (R 320 CDI) V6 diesel engines continue alongside new 388 hp 5.5 litre V8 petrol engine (R 500 L)
- Two trim lines: SE and Sport
The unique combination of qualities provided by the Mercedes-Benz R-Class are set to take on even greater appeal with the introduction of a new entry level, two-wheel drive R 280 CDI, the replacement of the standard six seat configuration with a choice of five or seven seats, and enhanced equipment levels across the range.
The revisions are designed to widen the R-Class’s appeal and prices now start at an extremely competitive £36,825 for the R 280 CDI SE. Customers will also be offered a special edition model limited to just 250 examples when the new range goes on sale in October: the ‘Edition S’ is based upon the identically priced R 320 CDI SE but is fitted with an additional £1240 worth of equipment that includes metallic paint, privacy glass, 19 inch alloys and dark tinted red tail lights.
There’s now a simpler model line-up and in addition to the five-seater, standard wheelbase R 280 CDI, the latest range comprises three R 320 CDI models – standard wheelbase with five or seven seats and a long wheelbase seven seater – and an R 500 long wheelbase seven seater. The model lines have also been reduced to two – SE and Sport – and the R 350 and R 63 AMG models are no longer offered.
Rather than six individual seats in three rows of two, customers can now choose either a five seat configuration, with three seats in the second row, or a seven seat configuration with an additional two individual third row seats. The third row now becomes an option on R 320 CDI models and standard on R 500 L models.